A child care safety education course for new and seasoned baby-sitters. Teaches child development, practical child care skills, basic first-aid, how to handle emergencies, and the characteristics and responsibilities of a successful baby-sitter. Please bring: a lunch, a doll or stuffed animal to practice diapering and choke-saving techniques, and a “Babysitter’s Magic Bag” filled with interesting and safe items that kids would like. Upon completion of the class participants will receive a certificate of completion.
Please bring to class:
-Pen / pencil and notebook
-A doll or stuffed animal to practice diapering and choke-saving techniques.
-“Babysitter’s Magic Bag” filled with interesting and safe items that kids would like. A babysitter’s magic bag is a durable bag or box (often kids like to decorate them) filled with collection of items—craft materials, crayons, pipe cleaners, small toys, puppets, books –that are inexpensive and easily found in your home or at a department store. When you babysit, the “treasures” from your magic bag will help make the time you spend with children fun and interesting. Keep in mind the ages of the children for whom you may be responsible. Make sure all items are safe and not broken. There should be no sharp edges, loose wires, or buttons that can injure a child by cutting or swallowing. Have fun and use your imagination! Bring the completed box or bag to class. You will be sharing your ideas with the other students in class.
In order to minimize exposure and risk to ourselves and others during the COVID pandemic, South Shore Safety has taken the following precautions when teaching classes.
1. South Shore Safety instructors will abide by all pandemic health recommendations regarding social distancing in a classroom setting.
2. All instructors will wear masks and keep social distancing at a minimum of 6 feet.
3. All class participants will be required to wear masks, with nose and mouth covered
4. South Shore Safety will have hand sanitizer available for participants upon check-in, if not provided by the host.
5. All class participants will be asked to bring their own pen or pencil
7. Specific to Babysitter Safety Training (BSST)
a. All BSST class participants must bring their own doll or stuffed animal for practice; we will not be providing any dolls to those who forget
b. Packets and Diapers will still be provided by the instructor